regarding volume to be maintained in 12ml ultracentrifuge tubes during ultracentrifugation

Thu May 24 02:46:34 EST 2012

Am Montag, 21. Mai 2012 15:22:26 UTC+2 schrieb divya teja:
> hello everyone
>
>  I wanted to isolated rafts from the mouse neuronal cell lines using
> ultracentrifuge.
> So, the am having 12ml centrifuge tubes that to be used for
> ultracentrifugation, but my sample volume itself is 12ml exactly.
>
> So, my doubts are:
>    1.  can i use 12ml centrifuge tubes for my 12ml sample?????
>    2.  will there be any spillage of sample????????
>    3.  Actually what are the minimum and maximum volumes to be
> maintained in 12ml
> ultra centrifuge tubes?????????
>

>  Can you please help me, in clearing my doubts?.
>

>    thank you
>

>    regards
>    divya

Hi Divya,

I strongly suggest that you consult the manual of both your centrifuge and of your tubes and connect to someone who is experienced with the technique. As in ultracentrifugation, quite strong forces and high mechanical energies are involved, a sudden instrument failure due to wrong loading could be catastrophic, at least in terms of money by killing your instrument.

Wolfgang