RNA shipment

Wed Sep 19 08:21:59 EST 2012

The airport scanners are usually backscatter X-ray machines that have much less ionizing radiation than the regular transmission ones used in hospitals.  Recent research into these airport scanners show that you have to be exposed atleast 10 million times a year before you have a chance of getting one cancer in your life time, and even that is questionable.  Regarding RNA, lyiphilising it should keep it pretty stable.  Though X-ray induced damages in RNA during transit, has not been well studied, it is possible it can cause secondary structures or breakages in RNA.  But remember that there are millions of RNA molecules in that prep and it is unlikely that all the molecules will break at the same point.   We have shipped RNA and DNA samples all across the world and never had any problems with its stability during transit.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Hiranya Roychowdhury
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:29 PM
To: DK; methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: RNA shipment

I had found one sure way to avoid degradation during shipment and/or storage is to dissolve it in DMFA.  It can subsequently be re-precipitated from it.  I agree with Dima that the radiation has to be rather high intensity to break the RNA during routine X-ray (then again, I am not sure what the intensity these days are.  I opt out of the scanner at the airports).  Thick lead containers may be used to eliminate that possibility (secondary emissions from thin lead foils may prove harmful too).

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Health & Public Services
NMSU-Dona Ana Community  College