Glowing wood

Tom Schneider toms at
Thu Aug 18 16:04:17 EST 1994

In article <adwright.776723771 at> adwright at () writes:
| In <1994Aug12.200142.14994 at> coop at  writes:
| >Has anyone heard of glowing wood?  While camping
| >in Northern Quebec I came across some rotting
| >wood that glowed brightly in the dark.  It came
| >from near the roots of a dead, rotting Poplar
| >(Aspen) tree.  My guess would be its caused
| >by some sort of fungus.  Any suggestions?
| >Dave
| >coop at
| This decaying wood is commonly known as "foxfire".  I found some once
| and took it home.  After it  dried out the glow was gone and attempts
| to get the glow back by rehydrating it failed   :(

I once took a firefly and (sorry to say) killed it.  I then spread the luminous
stuff on a slide and added ATP.  That made it glow again!  So if you still have
some of that stuff, perhaps you could get it to glow again by adding ATP!

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201