T7 RNA Polymerase promoter question

jr at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk jr at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 13:29:17 EST 1994

Dear all,

      Maybe someone out there can help me with this question regarding the
T7 RNA promoter. So far as I can find out the promoter sequence is:
(From the Stratagene catalog)

TAATACGACTCACTATA *GGG

 in which transcription initiates at the first G residue of the three G's and
is marked with an asterix

My question is : Do those three G's have to be there or could I replace the
three G's without loss of transcription activity?

I would ideally like to replace them with TGC. This is so as to intiate
transcription at a start of my insert. (Before someone posts asking why I'm
doing this since translation would occur further down and therefore I
don't need to change the T7 promoter sequence, let me say its just a long
story and the work necessitates this change. If you really want to know I
don't mind E-mailing responses.)

Thanks in advance

Jaz