Campylo Bachteria - what's that?

John Perrin jperrin at umich.edu
Wed Aug 24 16:00:30 EST 1994

Rolf Moholth (rolf at kih.no) wrote:
: I don't know if this is the right forum for my question, but the title of the
: group sounds right, so here goes :

: Could anyone tell me something about the Campylo Bachteria (that's what my
: doctor called it)? I live in Norway, and according to the laboratory this
: bachteria shouldn't have been up here at all!! We have not been abroad for a
: long time..

: Any information will be greatly appreciated

According to Color Atlas and Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, 1988, Campylobacter sp.are found worldwide.  It is ubiquitous in domestic animals-housepets
may carry the organism, and the vast majority of chickens, turkeys, and
waterfowl are colonized.  Ingestion of raw milk, partially cooked poultry,
or contaminated water are the common sources of human infection.