preservation of m.o.

Chris=Michiels%LMM%AGR at Chris=Michiels%LMM%AGR at
Thu Aug 25 11:57:38 EST 1994

Hi reader,

We have a small collection of different bacteria, yeasts and moulds that has been
kept on agar slants so far, and that we want to 'eternalize'. I know that even my mother in law
would be able to successfully preserve an E. coli culture with a teaspoon of glycerol at -80.
But is it that easy for all m.o.?
What are the best and easiest methods for long-term storage of different microorganisms?
How (medium, OD,...) should one grow cultures for subsequent freezing or lyophilisation?
What is the best cryoprotectant? At what concentration?
What about anaerobes?
Does anybody know a good reference text that gives an answer to these questions?

Chris Michiels