Nonisotopic Protein/RNA/DNA Synthesis Inhibition Methods

Richard heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Tue Aug 23 15:13:34 EST 1994

In article <9407087763.AA776368509 at ccgate0.bms.com>, Stephen_W._Mamber_at_~PRIWFB05 at ccmail.bms.com writes:
>      This microbiologist would like to know of any manufacturers
>      of/references for nonisotopic methods for determining the inhibition
>      of bacterial protein synthesis, DNA synthesis and/or RNA synthesis.
>
>      Thanks, SWM
>
>      mamber at synapse.bms.com
>
>      OR
>
>      Stephen_W._Mamber_at_~PRIWFB05 at ccmail.bms.com

Stephen, the reference you are looking for is:

Brunschede, H., Dove, T.L., and Bremer, H. (1977) J. Bacteriol. 129, 1020-1033.

This gives a simple method for the non-isotopic determination of protein, RNA
and DNA, using absorbancies after various acid/alkali steps.  It works!  well
- I've used the RNA and protein part ;-)

Good luck,

Richard Heath
heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Department of Biochemistry
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, 38101