Coli B and K-12

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 26 07:49:47 EST 1994

Diane Stothard (dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
: In article <1994Aug18.134716.6730 at wisipc.weizmann.ac.il>,
: Malin Gennady  <comalin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il> wrote:
: >Does anybody know, what is the principal difference in
: >two wild strains of Escherichia coli, B and K-12 from metabolic,
: >genetical or physiologycal point of view.
: >Any information will be appreciated.

: In addition, does anyone know the amount of sequence divergence between these
: two strains based on the 16S rRNA gene, or any two strains of E. coli, for that
: matter? Thanks in advance!

There are a number of papers by Howard Ochman looking at the evolution
and phylogeny of the enterics.  I believe that 16S is far too conserved
for this purpose; proteins were used instead (i.e. the divergence in
16S between different E.coli strains is probably 0).

It would be a bit old, but one reference is the ASM E.coli/S.typhimurium
book, which has a review by Ochman and Allan Wilson.  You might also
look up papers by Dan Hartl (Ochman & Hartl did at least one paper
together on this subject).  I believe you can get to Hartl's complete
publication list via the Web at

	http://golgi.harvard.edu/hartl/

Good luck!

Keith Robison