preservation of m.o.

Peter Holubar iam at
Fri Aug 26 07:13:29 EST 1994

In article <77783025834n12 at>, Chris=Michiels%LMM%AGR at says:
>We have a small collection of different bacteria, yeasts and moulds that has been
>kept on agar slants so far, and that we want to 'eternalize'. I know that even my mother in law
>would be able to successfully preserve an E. coli culture with a teaspoon of glycerol at -80.
>But is it that easy for all m.o.?
>What are the best and easiest methods for long-term storage of different microorganisms?
>How (medium, OD,...) should one grow cultures for subsequent freezing or lyophilisation?
>What is the best cryoprotectant? At what concentration?
>What about anaerobes?
>Does anybody know a good reference text that gives an answer to these questions?

there´s a really basic source of information You should check:
"Maintenance of Microorganisms and Cultured Cells - A Manual of
of Laboratory Methods"; B.E. Kirsop and A. Doyle (Editors), Academic Press
1991, ISBN: 012-410351-0.

I hope this will answer Your questions,