media for lactobacilli

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Wed Aug 31 07:54:24 EST 1994

bry_l at msdisk.wustl.edu wrote:

: does anyone know of a general media for isolating lactobacilli?
: we want to do a basic 'identification' of some of the flora
: in the mouse forestomach.

A selective agar I have had success with is tomato juice agar (receipe found
in "Media for Isolation-Cultivation-Identification-Maintenance of Medical
Bacteria," vol. 1, Jean F. MacFaddin, Williams & Wilkins 1985).  It is a
little messy to make because of the need to filter the tomato juice, but
works well because it selects for organisms that grow in acid environment.

Candy Krepel
Surgical Microbiology Research Lab
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu