Clinical Micro

Jim McLaughlin jmclau at medusa.unm.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:30:31 EST 1994

In article <mpowell-301194142307 at levinmac3.nichd.nih.gov>, mpowell at lmgvax.nichd.nih.gov (Mike Powell) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>
>  I'm seeking some advice on how best to gain
>employment as a clinical micro lab director.
>I have over 15 years experience in the clinical
>lab and an MS and BS in micro as well as a PhD
>in molecular biology. I'm currently a postdoc
>at NIH but would like to get back to the clinical
>lab at some point.
>
>  Any experiences anyone has related to clinical
>lab directorships would be most appreciated.

Mike: One route is via the American Academy of Microbiology approved programs
in Medical and Public Health Microbiology. There are 12 of these two-year
programs mostly at academic medical centes around the country. Somebody with
your background in diagnostic microbiology and molecular biology would be very
competitive in gaining acceptance into one of these programs. You may contact
me for more information. I'm the chairman of the oversight committee or you may
call or Email Peggy McNult (pmcnult at asmusa.org) at ASM headquarters.
                        Jim McLaughlin, Ph.D.
                   Director, Microbiology Laboratory
                         University Hospital
            University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
                        2211 Lomas Blvd., N.E.
                        Albuquerque, NM 87106
                            (505)843-2295