rho termination supression=suppression by tRNA?

the End jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Dec 1 10:02:00 EST 1994

In <a-281194182438 at 128.174.101.140> a () writes:

>I am somewhat confused.  Is suppression of rho termination the same as
>suppression of a nonsense mutant by tRNA?

>king1 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

>Thanks

Very cryptic question.

A relationship that you may be getting at is that Rho-dependent transcription
termination is the mechanism behind reduced downstream transcription in
"polar" mutants. Premature stop codons introduced into a protein coding
sequence will free the nascent RNA from ribosomes, exposing regions
appropriate for the interaction with Rho factor which leads to transcription
termination at downstream RNA polymerase pause sites.

Questions ? :)

Jim
J. Graham
Chemistry Department