Clinical Micro

"Miller, J. Michael PhD ", Mike JMM8 at CIDHIP1.EM.CDC.GOV
Thu Dec 1 07:34:35 EST 1994

Probably the best way to get started in a career as a clinical microbiology
laboratory director is to contact the American Society for Microbiology in
Washington, DC and ask for information on their Postdoctoral Residency
Program in Public Health and Medical Laboratory Microbiology.  This two-year
program (and some options) leads to board certification as a Diplomate of the
American Board of medical Microbiology, qualifying you as a laboraory
director.  Final certification is by examination in all areas of clinical
microbiology: bacteriology, mycology, virology, parasitology, immunology,
infection control, and public health.  There is both a written examination
and (if you pass the written) an oral examination in front of a panel of
national experts.  It's a "bear" but its worth it if that is your goal.  Good
luck.

FORWARDED FROM: Miller, J. Michael PhD (Mike)