Holiday question: Eggnog(EtOH) and Salmonella

WICKHAM,JOHN jwickham at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri Dec 2 23:37:00 EST 1994

Dear Netters:

I came across a recent posting in the rec.food.cooking newsgroup of a recipe
for eggnog using the traditional raw eggs. The author claimed that one
should not worry about Salmonella due to the alcohol in the recipe.

Does anyone know what approximate concentration of EtOH would have
bacteriostatic and/or bacteriocidal activity (I'm presuming the EtOH
concentration would likely have similair activity against most enteric
species).

My last readings on Salmonella enterocolitis made no mention of toxins. Please
let me know if this has been proven otherwise.

J Quyen Wickham
Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Univ of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
jwickham at rev.uokhsc.edu