Valid bacterial and filamentous fungi names database

Enevold.Falsen at alinks.se Enevold.Falsen at alinks.se
Sun Dec 4 19:21:42 EST 1994

 RE: Query by Niels Larsen, Illinois

 I was not aware that the DSM list was available at
 'http://www.ftpt.br'. I will centainly try to access the service
 - meanwhile I give some information of my personal experience:

 A number of Culture Collections in Europe are participating in
 the MINE-project (EC - Bridge). The MINE database is available
 at DIMDI, a major database-host for biology at Cologne, Germany.
 All the participating collections probably have their own 'valid
 names database' since the validation information is used in the
 data-integrating process for MINE.

 The MINE-database (a strain database) is, in my opinion,
 presently very good with regard to names and synonyms of fungi.
 Unfortunately the integration of data for bacterial strains is
 far from finished.

 The ATCC (gopher atcc.org) is working fine, but will only give
 ATCC catalogue data (and pertaining data). I do not believe you
 will find a complete list of valid names ? Such a list should
 give the author(s)' name(s), year of validation and a reference
 to IJSB.

 The DSM is producing a 'Bacterial nomenclature up-to-date'
 distributed on floppy disk.

 The CCUG catalogues of strains is distributed on floppy disk. A
 list of bacterial names is included on the floppy.

 The Biosis TRF is presently available by modem (phone to the
 USA), but will be available on Internet in January 1995.

 Unfortunately, the information may not be the same from all
 above listed sources. The DSM version is excellent, but some
 taxonomists may not share all their interpretations. The CCUG
 version is quite informal and primarily serving the purpose of
 producing reports to our customers (identification service). The
 main differences may be with regard to basonyms and synonyms.
 One of the best examples in clinical bacteriology is:
 Branhamella catarrhalis - Moraxella (Moraxella) catarrhalis -
 Moraxella catarrhalis.
 Some taxonomists would consider all as 'valid names', an
 approach which is not 'data-base-friendly'.
 Another source of dispute may be the nomenclature of Salmonella
 or Brucella.

 Let us hope that the IJSB may in due time offer a 100% correct
 ftp'able, international, official list amended at least 4 times
 a year.

 The above statements are my personal (present) opinions - NOT
 the official opinion of the University, ECCO or MINE.

 Please feel free to comment.

 Enevold Falsen
 CCUG: Culture Collection, University of G|teborg
 Guldhedsgatan 10, S-413 46 Gotheborg, Sweden
 Email: ccugef at ccug.gu.se   (or Enevold.Falsen at alinks.se)
 Fax: +46.31.82 54 84