Bioremediation of Alaskan Oil Spill (at length)

fintan_v at Msu.oscs.montana.edu fintan_v at Msu.oscs.montana.edu
Mon Dec 5 11:30:07 EST 1994

>In the interest of avoiding any misunderstandings, I would like to
>emphasize that GMO's were NOT applied in Prince William Sound after the
>Valdez Spill in March.  In fact, NO bacteria were applied at all.  All of
{SNIP}

{End SNIP}
>I'd be more than happy to discuss this topic further if anyone is interested.
>
>seachild at earthlink.net              ~~            ~~            ~~
>                                ~~~  ~~~     ~~~    ~~~     ~~~    ~~~
>Sean Chamberlin, Ph.D.     ~~~~         ~~~~           ~~~~            ~~~~
>ECOBEACH
>Redondo Beach, CA               "Who walk but the bacteria..."

Just to emphasize a point, the fertilizer added to the system must be
in a form that is utilizable by the bacteria doing the degrading.
Since these bugs are doing their work at an oil interface, the nitrogen
and phosphorous work best it they are in the oil phase. In other words they
should dissolve in the oil. There are chemical modifications that accomplish
this goal. An added advantage to this is that you are not supplying all
of the other organisms (which are not degrading the oil) with nutrients
they are probably lacking. The last thing you would want in an oil spill
area is the added problem of an algal bloom.

Fintan
Center for Biofilm Engineering