Clinical Lab Directors

Mike Powell mpowell at lmgvax.nichd.nih.gov
Mon Dec 5 10:26:55 EST 1994

Thanks to all that replied to my post about
what would be the best path to becoming a clinical
lab director.  Many people asked that I pass along
any information so I will summarize as follows:

All of the replies mentioned two ASM sponsored programs.
The first, is a certification program by ASM and the American
Board of Medical Microbiologists.  Applicants must have an
earned doctorate and sufficient experience as defined by the
board.  Depending on which of the 5 or 6 options you chose
this can range from 2 to 5 years.  For information you can
email ASM at certification at asmusa.org

One of the shortest paths to reaching the qualifications
to sit for this exam is to enter a postdoctoral residency
program sponsored by the American Academy of Microbiology.
The programs are 2 years in length and are sponsored by
a dozen or so individual institutions.

Information on these programs is availible in each edition
of ASM News or by contacting ASM.

A couple of notes:  Experience attained PRIOR to the
doctoral degree is not considered for the ABMM exam.
The deadline for applying to the postdoctoral training
programs is NOV 1 each year.  Selection is made in February
and the programs typically begin in July.  So, advanced planning
is crucial.

I hope this is helpful for others interested in this topic.

When the going gets tough, I fall behind.
Mike Powell, PhD
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics
National Institutes of Health
Bldg 6B  Rm 216