cefachlor - what is it?

Frame Ok hortense at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Dec 6 19:34:19 EST 1994

I am taking a pathogenic microbiology class at the University of
Maryland, and on top of finals, we have been given a clinical unknown to
identify and treat.

my theoretical patient is a 2 year old with otitis media.  the child was
first put on ampicillin, but there was no response to it.  The antibiotic
has been switched to cefachlor, and has improved the patient's condition.

in our class lecture, we had a specific antibiotic lecture, but i don't
remember cefachlor being discussed.  could someone briefly tell me what
sort of antibiotic it is, and how it works?

thanks a lot...
/meagan