latex gloves/HIV/'powder'

exb0431 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au exb0431 at csdvax.csd.unsw.edu.au
Fri Dec 9 23:08:03 EST 1994

Help required!
Recent arrival to our laboratory from Collindale UK and also
another position tells me that the use of LATEX gloves for procedures
with HIV is a no-no as the virus can 'pass through' the latex. This
is contrary to what I believed - so anyone prepared to comment??

Also the issue of the powder used in the gloves as interfering with
SEROLOGICAL ASSAYS was raised. Again I've not heard of this. Only the
interference caused in PCR reactions from the 'powder'?? Comments
most welcome?????