Re) Programmed cell death in Bacteria?

AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV
Thu Dec 15 22:58:57 EST 1994

I am studying cell inactivation mechanisms for E. coli and
S. typhimurium following heating and/or irradiation.

Heating (65oC for 2 min) causes destablization of membrane structural
intergrity which eventually induced cell lysis.
However, irradiation did not cause any physical damages (some proteins
and DNA /RNA damage - seems not a major factors in cell inactivation).
As irradiated cells were allowed to metabolize (repair ?), cells started
to dye (initiation of cell lysis).

The cell lysis might resembe to the programed cell death of eucaryotes.
I need some references and want to share some ideas to understand
cell death mechanisms in bacteria.

Thank you.

E. mail Add. : AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV