ascomycotina

Peter Heytler heytler at strauss.udel.edu
Sat Dec 17 11:52:07 EST 1994

In article <Rballou-1012941155480001 at dcc00693.slip.digex.net>,
Rballou <Rballou at access.digex.net> wrote:
>I need help on the classification of the fungus Xyleria hypoxylon.
>Specifically can anyone provide me with the order and family?

Xyleria hypoxylon is a woods fungus with a branched, woody fruiting
body variously known as "candlesnuff fungus" or "carbon antlers".
It is in the division Ascomycotina, class Pyrenomycetes,
order Sphaeriales and family Xylariaceae.
  (I hope this info is not too late for your 7th grader's assignment;
haven't had a chance to read the newsgroup this past week.)
--Peter Heytler