Sequencing of the Haemophilus genome

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 17 10:17:18 EST 1994

DAHAN,DAVID,MR (BG2H000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA) wrote:
: Greetings!
:     I have heard through the grapevine that TIGR (with financial
: assistance from Pfizer) has sequenced > 90% of the Haemophilus
: genome but that the sequence can only be accessed by signing
: a contract which states that any patents arising from the
: sequence information goes to either TIGR or Pfizer (I don't
: know which one).
:     I have three questions: (1) is this info accurate?; (2) does
: anyone have any additional info?; (3) can anyone point me to the
: people I must get in contact with to access the sequence info?.

TIGR talked about this project at the Hilton Head meeting in September.
They had done all the shotgun sequencing, and were in the midst of
gap-closing and walking two repeat regions (the rRNAs and another repeat).
I can't remember off-hand the exact number, but the shotgun phase should
have acquired over 90% of the sequence -- it's that last 5-10% that's
the killer.

A recent issue of Science or Nature had a detailed news story about
the TIGR scheme for getting access to their data in general.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu