Sequencing of the Haemophilus genome

Eddy Sean sre at al.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 18 11:59:47 EST 1994

In article <3cuvdu$g3h at decaxp.harvard.edu> robison at lipid.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
  >TIGR talked about this project at the Hilton Head meeting in September.
  >They had done all the shotgun sequencing, and were in the midst of
  >gap-closing and walking two repeat regions (the rRNAs and another repeat).
  >I can't remember off-hand the exact number, but the shotgun phase should
  >have acquired over 90% of the sequence -- it's that last 5-10% that's
  >the killer.
  >
  >A recent issue of Science or Nature had a detailed news story about
  >the TIGR scheme for getting access to their data in general.

Keith, (or anyone else),

The articles I've seen in Science and Nature have been talking about
the human expressed sequence tags available from Human Genome Sciences
(HGS), SmithKline Beecham (SKB), and TIGR, where the data licensing
issues seem to be driven largely by HGS and SKB. I understand (via
gossip, not fact) that TIGR and HGS do not see eye to eye on all
things when it comes to commercialization and access to data. Can you
confirm that the terms for seeing TIGR's data from other sequencing
projects are indeed similar to the HGS/SKB deals?

--
- Sean Eddy
- MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, England
- sre at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk