malarial vaccine?

Rballou Rballou at access.digex.net
Sun Dec 18 16:37:42 EST 1994

In article <seq6-1412941613030001 at core1.sfsu.edu>, seq6 at sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu.
(hoan phan) wrote:

> what is the current status in vaccine development for malaria and
> trypanosome and what are the problems with combination of mutiple-subunits
> vaccine (combination of various surface antigens produce by recombination)
> and has the problems of proper folding of these membrane bound surface
> protein been taken into consideration? Your answers are appreciated.
>
> Hoan

The Malaria Vaccine Development Program at the Walter Reed Army Institute
of Research has tested a number of recombinantly engineered and synthetic
peptide subunit vaccine against malaria, and four separate candidates are
or will be in clinical trials this year.  In regards to your question we
are currenlty testing the most complicated recombinantly engineered
vaccine ever to go into humans. Working with our collaborators at
Virogenetics and Connaught, we recently initiated clinical trails in human
volunteers with a recombinant attenuated vaccinia vector that expresses
seven different malaria antigens, two from the sporzoite stage, one from
the liver stage, three from the asexual blood stage, and one from the
sexual stage that develops in the mosquito . This vaccine (NYVAC-Pf7) has
been shown to express all seven antgens in vitro, and preliminary data in
animals indicate we are getting immune responses against them.  The issue
you raise are critical, and will be the focus of much work over the next
several years in relationship to this vaccine. We have no real data yet
regarding to what extent, if any, multiple foreign genes will compete for
cell resources and export pathways and for processing and presentation.
Our studies on the construction and preclinical data for this vaccine are
being written up now. We won't have any real good answers on the actual
succes of this approach in humans for at least six more months.

Ripley Ballou
Dept of Immunology
WRAIR