REP elements in E. coli

Richard_Heath heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Fri Dec 16 12:47:42 EST 1994

In article <D0sJwL.MLo at rivm.nl>, lwlkarel at rivm.nl writes:
> Hi,
>
> <mgrebus at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> asked for references describing the
> use of REP-PCR. Here are some:
>
> Debruijn, F. J.  Use of Repetitive (Repetitive Extragenic Palindromic and Enterobacterial
> Repetitive Intergeneric Consensus) Sequences and the Polymerase Chain Reaction
> to Fingerprint the Genomes of Rhizobium meliloti Isolates and Other Soil Bacteria.
> Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1992 Jul; 58(7): 2180-2187.
>
> Judd, A. K. et al. Use of repetitive sequences and the polymerase chain reaction technique
> to classify genetically related bradyrhizobium japonicum serocluster 123 strains.
> Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1993 Jun; 59(6): 1702-1708.
>
> Woods, C. R. et al. Analysis of Relationships Among Isolates of Citrobacter-diversus by
> Using DNA Fingerprints Generated by Repetitive Sequence-Based Primers in the Polymerase
> Chain Reaction. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 1992 Nov; 30(11): 2921-2929.
>
> Woods, C. R. et al. Whole-cell repetitive element sequence-based polymerase chain reaction
> allows rapid assessment of clonal relationships of bacterial isolates. Journal of
> Clinical Microbiology. 1993 Jul; 31(7): 1927-1931.
>
> I hope this information is useful,
>
> Karel Wernars, The Netherlands

I manipulate E. coli by the use of P1 transductions, gene knockouts etc, and I
was wondering what, if any, role was played by REP elements in these events.
One gene I am interested in has a single REP sequence immediately downstream,
and we are getting some strange results...  I am aware that they are thought to
be involved in chromosomal rearrangements, bind DNA gyrase... but no-one seems
to sure as to their actual function.  Could they be affecting the outcome of my
experiments?  Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Richard Heath