Lab Info Mgmt Systems (LIMS) for Clinical Microbiology

Alok Mehta mehta at news.wadsworth.org
Tue Dec 13 08:01:39 EST 1994

Hello,

We are in the process of networking and computerizing our clinical
microbiology laboratories (Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology,
Parasitology, Diagnostic Immunology, Mycology).  I am trying to
investigate how other organizations have addressed their
computerization needs, so that we have a basis for making our own
decisions.

Our labs receive specimens from other physicians, hospitals, and
institutions; they are tested in the labs, and the test results are
returned to the submitter.  We would like to record data from the
physician requisition forms, record the tests requested, test results,
reports generated, quality control data, etc. in a shared, networked
database.  Ideally, the database structures would be flexible enough
to allow the specification of new tests and test batteries, and we
would be able to add our own database fields.

All of our processing and reporting is centered around the specimen
(as opposed to a hospital environment, where it is centered around a
patient).  The system should provide specimen tracking and scheduling
services.

We often get non-human specimens.  There is a higher percentage of
non-routine specimens that are sent here (for example, specimens sent
for confirmation of diagnosis, or for the identification of unusual
specimens).  Our labs perform a research function, for example, to
evaluate new test procedures.

There may be other factors that could make it difficult to use a LIMS
system designed for hospital use in our labs.  We would like to hear
from other hospitals, research institutions, and joint
research/clinical institutions that have either purchased LIMS from
outside vendors, or have developed them in-house.

We have looked at systems from Sunquest and from LCI.  We are also
aware of a system called EPIC, and one called LITS (LITS was developed
at CDC).

If you have any opinions about these systems, or if you know of other
vendors/systems that might be appropriate for our needs, please let me
know.

Thanks in Advance for any help and information you can provide.

Sincerely,
Alok Mehta

     __.     Alok Mehta                       phone: (518) 473-1538
  __/  |     Wadsworth Center, Room C-232     fax:   (518) 474-7992
 /___ *|     New York State Dept of Health    mehta at wadsworth.ph.albany.edu
     \_|,;   P.O. Box 509
       ~'    Albany, New York 12201-0509