Sequencing of the Haemophilus genome

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 20 01:18:54 EST 1994

Eddy Sean (sre at al.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <3cuvdu$g3h at decaxp.harvard.edu> robison at lipid.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
:   >TIGR talked about this project at the Hilton Head meeting in September.
:   >They had done all the shotgun sequencing, and were in the midst of
:   >gap-closing and walking two repeat regions (the rRNAs and another repeat).
:   >I can't remember off-hand the exact number, but the shotgun phase should
:   >have acquired over 90% of the sequence -- it's that last 5-10% that's
:   >the killer.
:   >
:   >A recent issue of Science or Nature had a detailed news story about
:   >the TIGR scheme for getting access to their data in general.

: Keith, (or anyone else),

: The articles I've seen in Science and Nature have been talking about
: the human expressed sequence tags available from Human Genome Sciences
: (HGS), SmithKline Beecham (SKB), and TIGR, where the data licensing
: issues seem to be driven largely by HGS and SKB. I understand (via
: gossip, not fact) that TIGR and HGS do not see eye to eye on all
: things when it comes to commercialization and access to data. Can you
: confirm that the terms for seeing TIGR's data from other sequencing
: projects are indeed similar to the HGS/SKB deals?

I'm afraid I can't -- I took the worst case assumption and assumed it
is the same, though I can't help hoping TIGR will offer better term
for such a momentous sequence.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI