***PLEASE READ****

C. C.
Wed Dec 7 16:34:59 EST 1994

In article <3bor2r$mk5 at newsbf01.news.aol.com>, dave010 at aol.com (Dave010) says:

>Hi
>Currently I am a senior in high school.  I intent to major in the field of
>molecular biology, microbiology, or biotechnology.  My goal after I
>graduate is to do research in the field of Recombinant DNA Technology,
>Genetics or biotechnology. I live in NJ and I am not sure what college to
>go to and exactly what major to choose to achieve my goal. I would really
>appreciate any advise.  I have already been accepted to the following
>colleges: Penn State (Eberly College of Science), University of
>Pittsburgh, Clarion Uniiversity, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and
>Science, and Rutgers University. I am still waiting to hear from Rochester
>Institute of Technology (RIT). I know that there is an American Society
>for Microbiology. Is there a similar organization for Biotechnology?
>
>Thank you
>
>MY INTERNET ADDRESS IS  DAVE010 at AOL.COM

Dave,

I am responding for all persons with similar questions. The American Society for
Microbiology is a vast organization that services all areas of biotechology including
the growing field of molecular biology which is used in conjunction with many
sciences.  In answer to your school choice.  I would call the respective departments
and speak to several advisors within about degree requirements (classes) that will
allow you to tailor your specific needs to your goals as a researcher.  This will allow
you to get training in the proper areas that can be best utilized in your graduate
training.

I am a member of the ASM volunteers for education.
Hope this helps.  I can be reached at E-mail for further assistance.
chk3 at ciddbd2.em.cdc.gov

C. Harold King, PhD
Scientist, USPHS