transducing recA w/o tetR ?

Alberto I Roca roca at macc.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 5 14:02:00 EST 1994

In article <CsH3DG.76H at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> the End,
jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu writes:
>Has anyone used P1vir to transduce E. coli to recA- using a marker other
than
>tn10(tetR) ? My host strain is already tetR and I have been trying to
move

an alternative strategy is to remove the tetR from your starter strain.
this
protocol (1) selects for tet sensitive strains therefore losing the tetR
(transposon pops out). then you can perform P1 transduction w/ recA-tetR
phage.

alberto :|

(1) Davis, R. W., Botstein, D., and Roth, J. R., Advanced Bacterial
Genetics, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, 1980,
p90 & 205.
Alberto I. Roca                 Internet: roca at macc.wisc.edu
Biochemistry                    Bitnet:   roca at wiscmacc
420 Henry Mall
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Wisconsin 53706 USA