transducing recA w/o tetR ?

Alberto I Roca roca at
Tue Jul 5 14:02:00 EST 1994

In article <CsH3DG.76H at> the End,
jgraham at writes:
>Has anyone used P1vir to transduce E. coli to recA- using a marker other
>tn10(tetR) ? My host strain is already tetR and I have been trying to

an alternative strategy is to remove the tetR from your starter strain.
protocol (1) selects for tet sensitive strains therefore losing the tetR
(transposon pops out). then you can perform P1 transduction w/ recA-tetR

alberto :|

(1) Davis, R. W., Botstein, D., and Roth, J. R., Advanced Bacterial
Genetics, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, 1980,
p90 & 205.
Alberto I. Roca                 Internet: roca at
Biochemistry                    Bitnet:   roca at wiscmacc
420 Henry Mall
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Wisconsin 53706 USA