Cat Scratch Disease

J.M. Ossewaarde ossewaarde at rivm.nl
Tue Nov 1 06:22:00 EST 1994

In message <9410281446.AA29246 at lambada.oit.unc.edu>,
Paul.Demchick at LAMBADA.OIT.UNC.EDU ("Paul H. Demchick") writes:

>From: Paul.Demchick at LAMBADA.OIT.UNC.EDU ("Paul H. Demchick")
>Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
>Subject: Cat Scratch Disease
>Date: 28 Oct 1994 07:46:57 -0700
>Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>
>I send this request on behalf of an excellent student (Bill
>Burgess) of mine who has no E-mail account.  Please E-mail
>to him.
>
>          Has there been any resolution to the
>          issue of the causative agent of cat
>          scratch disease (CSD).  Is Rochalimaea
>          henselae it?  Is Afipia felis it?  Any
>          new thoughts?
>

>Thank you,
>
>Paul
>
>Paul H. Demchick
>Cell Biology Program
>Department of Biological and Physical Sciences
>B A R T O N   C O L L E G E
>Wilson, NC  27893
>
>paul.demchick at launchpad.unc.edu
>
>Telephone: 919-399-6467
>FAX: 919-237-4957

In The Netherlands we have not found any evidence of involvement of Afipia
felis. It is now clear that Bartonella henselae (formerly Rochalimaea) is the
main cause of CSD in The Netherlands as determined by PCR and IFA studies.

J.M. Ossewaarde, M.D., Ph.D.
Laboratory of Virology
P.O. Box 1
3720 BA Bilthoven