Why don't dideoxypyrimidine kill E. coli?

Andre Sobolewski Andre_Sobolewski at MINDLINK.BC.CA
Wed Nov 2 01:59:14 EST 1994

Taken from MIND LINK! on Tue Nov  1 22:31:52 1994

Tue Nov  1 20:56:32 1994
Letter  : 2654209    From: Stephen_W._Mamber_at_~PRIWFB05 at ccmail.bms.com
Subject : Why don't dideoxypyrimidines kill E. coli?
Bytes   : 401

To: microbiology at net.bio.net

     The dideoxypurines I work with (ddA, ddG and ddI) all kill/inhibit E.
     coli in agar diffusion assays.  However, the dideoxypurines (ddT and
     especially ddC) have little/no effect.  Is this the result of a)
     metabolic inactivation/modification, b) transport/uptake phenomena, c)
     a combination of the two, or d) some other explanation?  Thanks, SWM

--
Sincerely,
Andre Sobolewski                      Microbial Technologies