drug resistant war stories

Kathryn S. Black ac415 at detroit.freenet.org
Sat Nov 5 11:09:19 EST 1994

In a message dated 10/31/94, Dr. Ingvar Eliasson asks:

>When you are discussing VRE, are you talking of genus Enterococcus
or are you differentiating Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus

At this time, we are not speciating the Enterococci.  However, I
have been investigating methods for doing so, in the case of
significant isolates.

>At our lab, we have recently introduced a plate containing the
carbohydrate arabinose and a pH indicator, which gives a good
separation between the two species.

What type of media is this?  Is it commercially available or do
you prepare it yourself?
Kate Black
rcblack at oeonline.com
ac415 at detroti.freenet.org