Satellite colonies

mcgeed at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU mcgeed at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU
Sun Nov 13 14:07:35 EST 1994

	Hello microbionetters!  I was hoping that someone could explain
satellite colonies to me; i. e. why do they form in the presence of antibiotic?
Are there tricks to reduce the number of satellite colonies?  How does one
distinguish between satellite colonies and those colonies that have been
transformed with antibiotic-resistance-containing DNA that grow poorly (for
whatever reason)?   Are the tricks (if there are any) used for a variety of
antibiotics or is it specific for each antibiotic?

	Thanks so much and I hope my questions aren't too simplistic for this
forum.  If others think that answers to these questions would be helpful to
others, please post responses to the microbio.net.

Sincerely,
David

Remember to give thanks for those things you have which others do not!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

David J. McGee
MCGEED at hal.hahnemann.edu

Graduate Student
McPHU (Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University)
Center City Campus
15th and Vine Streets
Dept. Microbiology and Immunology M.S. 410
New College Building 10302
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Phone: 215-762-8275
Fax: 215-762-1004