Satellite colonies

B. Wasilauskas bwasilau at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU
Mon Nov 14 15:23:30 EST 1994

At 11:07 AM 11/13/94 -0800, mcgeed at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU wrote:

>	"Hello microbionetters!  I was hoping that someone could explain
>satellite colonies to me; i. e. why do they form in the presence of
antibiotic? ......."

Whenever I hear about satelliting colonies I think of one of 2 concepts:
eith the organism requires a nutritional growth factor, e.g. Haemophilus
with X and V factors, or in the case of antibiotics the satelliting colonies
are resistant to the antibiotic in question. It would be easy to determine
if the colonies in question required a growth factor supplied by the
antibiotic by simply growing the organism on antibiotic free medium. You
could determine antibiotic resistance by performing an antibiotic test with
varying dilutions of the antibiotic and the test organism. There may be
other reasons for the satelliting that I am not aware of, but others can
comment on them.

BLW