Vancomycin resistant enterococci and antibiotic restriction

Bob Morrell bmorrell at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU
Fri Nov 18 21:02:22 EST 1994

On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Thomas P. Bleck wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing from people in institutions which are
> restricting the use of vancomycin (because of VRE)

We only recently had our first case of VRE, but one of the surprises to
me was that there appears to be =no= literature definitively linking vanc
usage to the appearance of VRE. We certainly use a lot, and appear to be
one of the last major medical centers to see it.

VRE is bug of ICU wards and as such is going to be linked to antibiotic
usage, but apparently not necessarily to vanco. The causality is missing.

*                     Bob Morrell                       *
*               bmorrell at isnet.is.wfu.edu               *
* The operation was a success, as the autopsy will show *