Aircraft components fungi???

Austin Reade reade at nsrfc5.nsrfc.ns.ca
Wed Nov 23 09:27:47 EST 1994

In article <11-20-1994.19533 at harfang> guy at harfang.login.qc.ca(Guy Tremblay) writes:
>Subject: Aircraft components fungi???
>Date: Sun, 20 Nov 94 12:46:13 -0500
>From: guy at harfang.login.qc.ca(Guy Tremblay)
>Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology

>In the ATCC collection of filamentous fungi catalogue, more precisely in the Strains
>with Special Applications Section there is an application that is bugging me. This is
>the application:

>Aircraft components
>     testing
>        Aspergillus flavus
>                    "       niger
>                    "       ustus
>                    "       versicolor
>         Chaetomium globosum
>         Fusarium monoliform
>etc...

>What is this about? Are these fungi that like to take the plane (Hey, I met Rusty the
>fungi in a 747 back from Jakarta)? Or are they simply organisms used for airplanes
>testing? If so, what for exactly?

>*    Guy Tremblay            Universite du Quebec a Montreal              *
>*        /\-/\               guy at harfang.login.qc.ca                      *
>*  \\   ((O O))   //                                                      *
>*   \\\  \\>//  ///          "But you musn't assume that a principle      *
>*    \\\\///\\////           that works at one level works at all levels" *
>*                             P.W. Anderson                               *

Fungi can grow on a wide range of what, at first glance, might be considered
very unlikely substrates.  These include various plastics and aviation
fuels.  Even if the fungus cannot derive nutrients from the substratum it
may grow on trace organic contaminants deposited thereon.  The subsequent
presence of mycelium and metabolic products may then affect the properties
of the underlying substratum.  Thus plastics may become brittle, optical
systems can be etched, electronic circuits may be short-circuited or put out
of adjustment.

The molds listed by ATCC are used in standard methods for testing various
materials for resistance to deterioration by fungi.  For details see, for
example, the military standard MIL-STD-810D  Method 508.3.  This was issued
July 19, 1983, there may be more recent versions.  This standard describes
the testing methods and some of the reasoning behind them.