Survival of Fecal Coliform in Lakes

BillK76095 billk76095 at
Sat Oct 8 15:00:11 EST 1994

In article <changlab-2209942044080001 at>,
changlab at (George W. Chang) writes:

I am working on a project in Georgia to look at microbial indicators of
fecal pollution in recreational waters and one of our latest concerns has
been with bacterial regrowth in our waters during the summer months.

If E. coli and fecal coliforms in general do regrow in Southern waters, as
has been shown in many South American countries, there use as an indicator
may be limited. In any case, it will be much more difficult to determine
whether the E. coli are present as a result of recent fecal contamination
or from an earlier source which has caused proliferation.