Cat Scratch Disease

John Bowman jbowman at
Fri Oct 28 15:24:28 EST 1994

In article <9410281446.AA29246 at> Paul.Demchick at LAMBADA.OIT.UNC.EDU ("Paul H. Demchick") writes:
>From: Paul.Demchick at LAMBADA.OIT.UNC.EDU ("Paul H. Demchick")
>Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
>Subject: Cat Scratch Disease
>Date: 28 Oct 1994 07:46:57 -0700
>Sender: daemon at

>I send this request on behalf of an excellent student (Bill
>Burgess) of mine who has no E-mail account.  Please E-mail
>to him.

>          Has there been any resolution to the
>          issue of the causative agent of cat
>          scratch disease (CSD).  Is Rochalimaea
>          henselae it?  Is Afipia felis it?  Any
>          new thoughts?

>Thank you,

>Dear Paul

I believe CSD is caused by Afipia species. I know of two species - A. felis
and A. clevelandensis (I don't know if both species can cause CSD but A. felis
does at least). Phylogenetically Afipia is related to Rochalimea species i.e.
R. quintana etc in the alpha subdivision. The Afipia work was published by
David Brenner et al. out of CDC in J. Clin. Microbiol. 1991. Hope this info

John Bowman. CEB, Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville