How do bacteria sense env.?

Karen Ferri kferri at gibbs.oit.unc.edu
Thu Sep 1 22:35:13 EST 1994

Hello all.  Am taking my first micro. class and am absolutely fascinated
by it!  I am having a little trouble understanding the mech. by which
bacteria sense their environment.  I understand the mech. of chemotaxis;
it's how do they sense in the first place I am confused on and haven't
been able to find any clear info if at all ( my text omits this).  Some
of the terms  the prof used were: omp R, omp C, omp F, sensor in the
cytoplasmic membrane and response regulator in the cytoplasm.  Can anyone
explain this to me in clear language?  Many thanks, in advance.

KF