(ch)omp, (ch)omp

Potter Wickware wick at NETCOM.COM
Fri Sep 2 18:24:36 EST 1994

Subject: Re: How do bacteria sense env.?
To: Karen Ferri <kferri at gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
cc: microbiology at net.bio.net

well, "omp" stands for outer membrane protein, and these are like pores
which admit nutritious or shall we say energetically useful substances
like glucose for example.  Once in the cell these molecules cause a
change in the chemical gradient inside, activating thru a series of steps
proteins that make the flagella start to turn, whipping the little guy
closer to his dinner.  I don't know about the sensor and regulator.  I
must not have had the same micro book.  Gosh, this is making me hungry.

Same thing can happen in reverse, ie., noxious substances will cause an
avoidance response.  Some bugs do it in response to light.

You know what I'd do?  Go to the library and look up a review article in
Ann Rev Microbiol about chemotaxis.  A lot of those reviews are pretty
well written and go into more depth than the text.

Potter Wickware