It's MICROBIO@NET.BIO.NET (!)

Martin Latterich micro at mendel.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 5 00:43:26 EST 1994

In article <9408017784.AA778478005 at ccgate0.bms.com>
Stephen_W._Mamber_at_~PRIWFB05 at ccmail.bms.com writes:

>      When I sent my first E-post to the net, I was surprised to get my mail
>      returned as 'undeliverable' when typing 'microbiology at net.bio.net'.  I
>      was later informed by M. Latterich that the address had to be
>      shortened to 'microbio at net.bio.net' for (presumably) internet-related
>      reasons.  However, I have noticed that 'microbiology at net.bio.net'
>      still appears in the address information.  Since I suspect that others
>      may have had the same problem posting on this board as I initially
>      did, I just want to make it clear that the correct address and what's
>      in the address information are NOT the same.
>
>      In summary, the correct address is as follows:
>
>      microbio at net.bio.net
>

>      Now that we're straight on that, I expect to see several hundred posts
>      this (and future) months!  SWM
>
>      mamber at synapse.bms.com

The address which is used to direct posts to bionet.microbiology is not
identical to the address which appears in the header of (successful)
posts and it can lead to some confusion. The information which is
mailed to every new mailing list subscriber says:

"Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in
case you don't already have it:

MICROBIOLOGY/bionet.microbiology

USENET name: bionet.microbiology

Mailing list name: MICROBIOLOGY

e-mail addresses:  microbio at net.bio.net
                   microbio at daresbury.ac.uk"

Although this information clearly states the correct e-mail addresses
of the mail-server, I will make it more clear in future that these are
the addresses where submissions by mail have to be send to, no matter
what the mail-header says.

I will also see that I can incorporate this important point in the FAQ
to make the address microbio at net.bio.net or microbio at daresbury.ac.uk
known better. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

                        Sincerely,

                        Martin Latterich, your friendly and overworked
                        BIONET.MICROBIOLOGY Discussion Leader
                        micro at mendel.berkeley.edu