Activity of soil micro-organisms.

EWEN E.F.Mcpherson at uel.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 03:48:16 EST 1994

Following Dorothea Smith's recent post on monitoring activity of the
Soil Microbial Biomass (Hereafter and forever referred to as the SMB).

Hello Dorothea,

Yup, tricky one. I would normally use the TTC method myself, but when
you mentioned phenols and nitrates....

I've been looking at the various forms and techniques for the
estimation of the SMB for a while now, and whilst I don't want to be
seen to blow my own trumpet, have you considered rather than a
measure of the activity trying to extrapolate from other measures ?

See Hill, McPherson et al, Soil Biology and Biochemistry Vol 25(12)
pp 1779-1786, 1993. Title;-Microbial biomass estimated by
phospholipid phosphate in soils with diverse microbial communities.

We started looking at phospholipid phosphate (PL-P) as an alternative
measure of the SMB, and came up with the following corellations from
a very diverse range of soils from our previous research work;-

ATP;- r^2= 0.80, p<0.001
Total N;- r^2 = 0.84, p<0.001
DHA;- r^2 = 0.53, p<0.005
and from Zelles et al (1991)
they showed r^2 of 0.94-0.96 for "a range of enzymatic measures"
in agricultural soils.

I'm not personally a great fan of ATP as a method for the estimation
of activity, but it seems like this might be your best bet given the
circumstances you're looking at. I'll be happy to point you to some
references if you're not already aware of the technique.

Hope this is of some use to you,

Regards,

Ewen

*         "Beam Me Up, Scotty,                    *
*               This Planet Sucks !"              *
* Ewen McPherson, Research Assistant              *
* e-Mail: EWEN at whmain.uel.ac.uk                   *
* Voice : +44 81 590 7722 extn 4076               *
* snail:  Department of Environmental Sciences    *
*         University of East London               *
*         Romford Road, Stratford,                *
*         London E15 4LZ                          *
*         United Kingdom                          *