Bionet.microbiology vs Sci.bio.microbiology

EWEN E.F.Mcpherson at uel.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 03:33:07 EST 1994

Greetings again Virtual Microbiologists !

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to develop a
nervous tic every time I see the above header or similar in the group.

Since Martin managed to overcome the inertial apathy of the microbial
community (sic), I've been recommending to my students that they
have a browse through bionet.microbiology when net-surfing. A few of
them have come back to me recently being a bit confused and asking
the difference between bionet.microbiology and sci.bio.microbiology,
the case for which has been eloquently and ubiquitously put by Una.

As a bionet-browser/user for a good while now, I would like to say
that we again seem to be losing the thread. What is the purpose of
the net and the bionet in particular ? I'ld like to think that it is
dissemination and sharing of information and knowledge, skills and
tips, thoughts and feelings about our great science.

As we appear to have seen, propagation problems now seem to be
settling down somewhat as people become aware of the existance of the
group and start to get the feed to their newsreaders. Just a pity
that we don't get more postings, but hopefully that'll remedy itself
soon.

So, on behalf of myself and my browsing students, may I cordially
suggest that we keep the nefarious internal politicking from the
Ivory Towers out of the specific groups and perhaps into
bionet.general. I'm getting thoroughly sick of it.

Martin, you're doing a great job my friend. Ne Te confundant
Illegitemi carborundum !

A final thought;- The world of academic politics is so vicious
because there is so little at stake !. Blowed if I can remember who
said it but it seems particulary apposite here.

Qu'apla !

Ewen
*         "Beam Me Up, Scotty,                    *
*               This Planet Sucks !"              *
* Ewen McPherson, Research Assistant              *
* e-Mail: EWEN at whmain.uel.ac.uk                   *
* Voice : +44 81 590 7722 extn 4076               *
* snail:  Department of Environmental Sciences    *
*         University of East London               *
*         Romford Road, Stratford,                *
*         London E15 4LZ                          *
*         United Kingdom                          *