Electrophoresis of intact cells

Chris=Michiels%LMM%AGR at agr.kuleuven.ac.be Chris=Michiels%LMM%AGR at agr.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Sep 7 13:03:14 EST 1994

In article <34i2uj$155 at ratatosk.uninett.no>, Viggo Lindahl
<viggo.lindahl at biotekn.nlh.no> wrote:

>We are interested in the possibility of separating intact bacteria by
>electrophoresis, either by differences in total negative charge or by
>separation due to pore size in some matrix. This is only an idea (we do
>not know if it works at all), but electrophoresis has been conducted on
>eukaryotic cells (I have not yet received the papers on this). I would be
>very glad if anybody has some experience or a reference on the subject.
>All constructive ideas are welcome.
>
>Yours respectfully, Viggo Lindahl

Viggo,
This may not be exactly what you are after, but may be useful:

In the following article:'Real time microbiological methods in quality assurance'
(by Pradip Patel, Food Technology International Europe, 1993, p201-204), mention is
made of a technique named 'dielectrophoresis'. I quote: "The technique enables
concentration of microorganisms (such as L. monocytogenes) in a matter of
minutes by application of high frequency to the suspending aqueous medium.
The basis of concentration at the electrode arrays (printed on a microscope slide)
is via polarisation of charges on cell surfaces. As a result, the cells orient from
the electrode surface in a "pearl chain" manner. Manipulation of certain
conditions (such as frequency and voltage settings) can result in differential
concentration of microbial species, thus offering significant potential in modern
diagnostic  techniques."
Unfortunately, no further references are given in this text. If anybody knows more
about this technique, I would also be interested to hear about it.

Chris Michiels