Phage types?????

f0380903 at jaguar.csc.wsu.edu f0380903 at jaguar.csc.wsu.edu
Wed Sep 7 10:43:41 EST 1994

In article <34j5gn$6df at balsam.unca.edu>, CRMCKEEL at uncavx.unca.edu (Cameron McKeel) writes:
> This may be an elementary question but what are "Phage types"?
>
> I'm doing some research on methicillin resistant staph and this keeps popping
> up. Phage type I, and Phage type III. What's the deal? Thanks, and I apologize
> for asking what is probably a stupid question.
>
> Cameron McKeel

Cameron,

Phage typing is a process of grouping bacteria based on their sensitivity to
different bacteriophage (viruses). It is a technique widely used with Staph.
The technique allows one to group Staph. into one of 4 groups based on
sensitivity to various lytic phage.

Matthew Nilles
Dept. of Microbiology
Washington State University