Help with sterilization?

SteveFunk stevefunk at aol.com
Thu Sep 8 18:32:15 EST 1994

I'm trying to sterilize a 4" diameter cartridge of molded polypropylene
containing a granulated carbon bed.  We cannot autoclave it for the
polypro melts at temperatures above 180 degrees F.  If I microwave the
cartridge so surface temperatures of the cartridges stay below 180 degrees
how likely is it that all background biological contamination will be
killed?  This cartridge is a part of a device that will remove pathogens
from drinking water and we want to test the devices for microbial
reduction.  We've used specific organisms and been able to determine their
reduction but when it comes to a total plate count there will be assorted
non-pathenogenic mold, spores, etc in the carbon that will throw off the
test.  I'd really appreciate your advice if you have some.  I thank you in
advance.
E-mail:  SteveFunk at aol.com