Bacteria in human nose

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 15 09:06:47 EST 1994

In article <Cw5FCL.DFs at freenet.carleton.ca>, aw833 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Graham Higgins) writes:

> My friend is working on a project and would like to know what species of
>bacteria would normally be found in the human nose.  Also, any information
>on 'brain and heart infusion' media for growing bacteria (preparation,
>whether it is selective for certain bacteria species, etc) would be
>appreciated.  Please send me e-mail if you have any information.  Thanks.

Staphylococcus aureus and/or other Staph. species. - they like the
humidity of the nasal passages.  During the Staph. portion of our
undergraduate Food Micro lab we generally have students twirl a cotton swab
in their nose (yeah, I know, yuck) and streak it out on Baird Parker agar.
The BHI (Brain Heart Infusion) media you mention above is **not** selective
and would likely culture anything that can grow on it.
Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284	*
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953	*
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu	*
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                        	*