Bacteria on skin of penis, what's normal?

BCapstone bcapstone at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 15:59:04 EST 1994

It's a long story, but I was researching prostatitis, how to diagnose it,
and got the idea that I needed to culture the skin around the penile
meatus (where the Expressed Prostatic Fluid comes out after prostatic
massage).  The thought being that as the EPS comes out not only will it be
contaminated by urethral contaminents but also those on the skin around
the penile opening.  I was SHOCKED to find E. Coli grow in culture from a
patient's penile skin.  The finding has drastic implications for
contamination of prostatic specimens.  Anybody out there who could study
this?  Has there ever been a study?