X and V Factor

B. Wasilauskas bwasilau at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU
Tue Sep 20 14:48:33 EST 1994

At 10:43 AM 9/20/94 -0700, Dan deRegnier wrote:
>Greetings-- I teach clinical microbiology in the Medical Technology
>program at Ferris State Univ.  Our students ultimately work in
>clinical labs performing a variety of assays.  A question keeps
>coming up that I have found two different answers to. Question:
>When Haemophilus sp. satellite around S. aureus on sheep blood agar
>is the V factor (NAD) being produced by the S. aureus or is it
>coming from the the red blood cells that are lysed by the staph?
>
>Can anyone clear this up for me.  TIA
>
>*********************************
>Daniel P. deRegnier, MS, MT(ASCP)
>Ferris State University
>Big Rapids, MI 49307
>yc06 at music.ferris.edu
>
>Dan:
The staph or other organisms exude NAD into the medium so that the
Hemophilus can satellite around them. In fact we used to use a non-hemolytic
staph because it was easier to see the satelliting Hemophilus when there was
no hemolysis.

Ben Wasilauskas, Ph.D.

BLW