X and V Factor

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Tue Sep 20 22:04:09 EST 1994

Dan deRegnier (YC06 at MUSIC.FERRIS.EDU) wrote:
: Greetings-- I teach clinical microbiology in the Medical Technology
: program at Ferris State Univ.  Our students ultimately work in
: clinical labs performing a variety of assays.  A question keeps
: coming up that I have found two different answers to. Question:
: When Haemophilus sp. satellite around S. aureus on sheep blood agar
: is the V factor (NAD) being produced by the S. aureus or is it
: coming from the the red blood cells that are lysed by the staph?

V factor is produced by the Staph aureus and the X factor comes from the
blood in the medium.

Candy Krepel
Surgical Microbiology Research Lab, Medical College of Wisconsin
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu